Friday, February 17, 2012

Swamped with Studying and Some Original Recipes

Missed me? You may not have missed me (probably not), but I have missed blogging. I've just been swamped with school work lately and have had little time to blog. Beginning graduate work 18+ years after completing a BA means LONG hours studying. Not sure if it's the subject matter (a change in academic discipline), the graduate level aspect, or my age (no!), but whatever it is, I have to study. A lot. And I have never studied in my life. I'm doing well, thanks for asking, but it is requiring work. Blogging has taken a back-back seat. Like third row back seat.

So anyway, just to let you know I'm still here, I thought I'd post a couple of my original recipes. I'll post pictures as I make these.


This recipe came about on a day when we had a bunch of errands to run and so I put some stuff in the slow cooker and expected a nice, attractive chicken dish topped with a black bean salsa. Instead, when I went to take it out of the slow cooker, the chicken just fell apart. So I went with it and ended up having a family favorite and the most-requested recipe I have ever made. A happy accident, to say the least.

Mexi-Crock
I know, the name is lacking. If you can think of something better, feel free to suggest.
4 Frozen Chicken Breasts
1 Envelope Taco Seasoning
1 Tbs Chicken Bullion
1 Can Black Beans, Rinsed and Drained
1 Can Corn, Rinsed and Drained
1 Can Rotel
1 Can Chopped Green Chilis
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Cup Sour Cream
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar

Spray large crock pot with Pam. Layer in order ingredients, ending with the chopped chilis. Cook covered, on High for 4 hours. Shred chicken. Stir in soup. Cook for another 30 minutes. Just before serving, stir in sour cream and shredded cheddar. Serve with tortilla chips or over rice. Or rolled up in tortillas or on tostada shells. Or just out of a bowl without anything.


This recipe was inspired by a friend who loved corn casserole and loved Mexican food. He suggested that I combine the two, so I did. And man-oh-man, is it good!

MexiCorn Casserole
1 Med Onion, Chopped
2 Tbs EVOO
2 Cloves Garlic, Pressed
Pickled Jalapeno Slices, Chopped (I use about a ¼ Cup)
2 4 oz Cans Chopped Chilies, NOT drained
1 Tsp Cumin
1-2 Tbs Butter
1 14 oz Can Corn, Drained
1 Cup Butter, Melted
2 Cups Sour Cream
2 Tbs Sugar or Splenda
6 Eggs
2 14 oz Cans Creamed Corn
2 Pkgs Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (You could just use self-rising cornmeal, about 4 cups)

Preheat oven to 375.

Gently saute onion, salt, and pepper in EVOO until onion is soft. Add pressed garlic, chopped jalapenos, chilies, and cumin. Cook until onion is completely cooked. Add 1-2 Tbs butter and the whole kernel corn. Crank up the heat to lightly brown the corn. While corn is tanning, mix together remaining ingredients. Stir in onion and corn mixture. Pour into greased baking dish and bake for about an hour, or until golden.

To lighten it up, use half the butter and add 1/4 cup of milk to the liquid mixture. I used about a half cup of jalapeno slices before chopping.


And here's my pancake recipe. It is not your average pancake. They are much healthier, higher protein, lower sugar, and these will stick with you till lunchtime. I only use low-sugar or sugar-free syrup to further avoid insulin fluctuations.

Dana’s Power Pancakes
1 Cup Self-Rising Flour (feel free to use whole wheat)
½ Cup Quick Cooking Oats
¼ Cup Wheat Germ
¼ Cup Flax Seed Meal
¼ Cup Powdered Milk
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
3 Eggs
½ Cup Sour Cream
1 Tbs Vanilla
1 Tbs Maple Flavoring
2 Cups Buttermilk, more or less depending on how thick you like your batter
Pam cooking spray
Butter, Softened
Warm Syrup

Preheat pancake griddle over medium to medium-low heat. Spray with cooking spray before each pancake. Pour desired amount of batter onto hot griddle. Let sit until edges are dry-looking and bottom is golden brown. Flip. Cook until golden brown. Place on plate and spread with softened butter. Serve immediately with warm syrup.


And here's a sinfully delicious dessert. I adapted it from several brownie recipes. This one will spike your insulin, but I'd say it'd be worth it every once in a while. ;)

Triple Chocolate Brownies
½ C Butter, melted
1 C Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs
2 Tbs Hersey’s Chocolate Syrup, Caramel Topping, OR Nutella
½ C All-Purpose Flour
1/3 C Cocoa Powder
¼ Tsp Baking Powder
¼ Tsp Salt
½ C Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8x8” pan with Pam.

Whisk together butter, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk in eggs and chocolate syrup. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon into greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes, until edges are set.


So, there ya go. A few of my very own, original recipes. Keep me in your prayers through all this insane studying I am doing. I'd like a 4.0 on graduate work. I won't tell you what my GPA was when I did my BA. Let's just say that I majored in English with a concentration in socializing.

No comments:

Post a Comment