Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tornado in January?


It's late. Almost 11:00 pm on a Sunday night. Why am I up? Mostly because I was finishing a class assignment (Writing the purpose of my Literature Review, Research Questions, Theoretical Background, and Background Interest. I know, super stimulating.), but partly because there is a tornado watch and tornado warnings are just north of us. In January. The temperature is rising, storms are coming, and the weathermen are fairly dizzy with excitement.

We can do nothing, really, to forestall looming disaster, except prepare. Have your emergency kit packed and ready to go. (Mine is nonexistent.) Have your safe room clean and well appointed for emergencies. (Mine is a wreck.) Have on clean underwear. (Ummm, okay...)
(Kit recommended by The Kentucky Department for Public Health)

Isn't it weird how things happen in life when we aren't
planning them and aren't expecting them? A text message would be nice. "Hey! Look out! Life is about to suck!" But disasters are unexpected. Traumatic. And part of life in this world. Like a tornado in January Or like the death of a child. Unexpected and devastating. We can do nothing, really, to forestall looming disaster, except prepare. But how on God's green earth can we be prepared for that kind of trauma? All I can say is, be ready. Be in communion with God. Read the Bible. Pray. Go to church.

When we are prepared for disaster, it doesn't avert that disaster. Preparedness just makes getting through the devastation a little bit easier. Whether the death of a child, or a tornado in January, get your heart and your home ready. You never know when disaster will strike.

4 comments:

  1. I am terrified of storms. Truly terrified, mostly because I fear I can't save my son. I will not sleep tonight until this has passed us. I've paid for a weather alert subscription that is not working. I'm a wreck and my prayers are continuous and fervent right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sometimes there is absolutely nothing that can be done to save a child.

      You're such a strong person, it is hard for me to imagine you being afraid of anything!

      Delete